Microsoft Corporation MECHANICAL ENGINEER in Amsterdam, Netherlands
Microsoft Cloud Infrastructure and Operations (MCIO) is the engine that powers Microsoft's cloud services. The team is responsible for designing, building and operating our unified global datacenters; managing the demand planning and capacity utilization of our unified infrastructure; and responsible for all of the operations needed to run the physical infrastructure (including supply chain, hardware, power, security, and workflow teams).
We focus on smart growth with an emphasis on automation, data driven engineering, cost-effectiveness and environmental sustainability. We deliver the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's over 200 online businesses including Bing, MSN, Office 365, Xbox Live, Skype, OneDrive and the Microsoft Azure platform.
Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our portfolio is built and managed by a team of subject matter experts supporting services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
At the forefront of the action in MCIO is our Datacenter Operations Group! In the Mechanical Engineer role, you will have an opportunity to work alongside a dynamic team of industry professionals across the Information Technology (IT) and Critical Environments (CE) spectrum, to support 24x7x365 on-site DC operations and mechanical infrastructures.
You will be the technical authority for on-site operations of large-scale mechanical systems and designs. From establishing and coordinating maintenance & safety procedures, maintaining redundant high-capacity cooling systems; to operating and supporting datacenter backup electrical systems (diesel generators, rotary UPS, etc.) -- you will steward vital infrastructure supporting deployments of Microsoft's online services.
Your skills will support a range of single large capacity facilities, to several smaller ones -- all built using cutting edge datacenter-industry designs and equipment! With your expertise you will also assist with supplier selection and overseeing mechanical supplier execution. Excellent customer service, interpersonal awareness, and communication skills will be pivotal in bringing your technical abilities to life, supporting Microsoft’s future success!
REQUIRED - Skills, Qualifications, and Experience:
• 5+ Years’ experience operating mission-critical, 24x7x365 facilities or mechanical infrastructures
• Valid license to drive standard street-legal automatic transmission vehicles within local jurisdiction
• Bachelor/Master degree in Mechanical, Industrial, or Process Engineering Preferred –
Skills, Qualifications, and Experience:
• Strong technical knowledge in the operation of facility environments' various heating and cooling systems. (Centrifugal chillers, chilled water, adiabatic, thermal storage systems, CRAH/CRAC, etc.)
• Experience with alternative, energy efficient water treatment methodologies and developing chemistry programs for processed water treatment
• Understanding of maintenance & operation of critical environment backup electrical equipment. (Diesel generators, radiator, ventilation systems, fuel storage, distribution, & protection systems, etc
• Knowledge of construction techniques, terminology, and documentation (Ability to interpret blueprints, electrical one-lines, construction drawings etc.)
• Practical experience with building management systems and automation, controls & frameworks Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.
All applications for vacant positions will be welcomed and will be considered on the relative merits of the applicant against the role profile for the position regardless of color, race, nationality, ethnic origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, parental responsibilities, age, religion, or belief.